Credits to Pia Korani - Learn More: http://www.piakorani.com/basic-hummus
Basic Hummus Recipe
Tahini paste is the second essential ingredient in Hummus. You can find the right quality tahini paste at middle eastern supermarkets. Go for Syrian brands.
Make sure to let the Hummus rest for 30 mins before serving. You can keep Hummus in the fridge for up to 3 days. Before digging in, make sure to take it out at least half an hour before to allow it come to room temperature.
Prep time: 20 minutes (+12 hours of soaking dried chickpeas)
Cook time: 1 hours – 1 hour 30 minutes
Total time: 1 hour 50 minutes
|250 g (1 1/4 cups)||Dried chickpeas OR|
|500 g (2 1/2 cups)||Canned chickpeas|
|2 Tablespoons||Baking Soda|
|3||Lemons (about 100 ml)|
|1 Teaspoon||Ground cumin|
|250 g (1 1/4 cups)||Tahini paste|
The night before:
1. Soak the chickpeas in 3x as much water, plus 1 tablespoon of baking soda over night, or for 12 hours.
The next day:
2. Rinse the chickpeas very well under running cold water, pick out any discoloured ones.
3. Drain and add the chickpeas plus 1 tablespoon of baking soda to a large pot. Cook over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes stirring constantly. This softens the skins of the chickpeas.
4.Add 3x as much water to the pot and bring to a boil, skimming off any foam that surfaces to the top. Lower heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 1 hour. The chickpeas should be very tender and completely falling apart. Drain; set aside to cool.
1. Rinse chickpeas very well under cold water. Add the chickpeas plus 3x as much water to the pot and bring to a boil. Lower heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 1/2 an hour or longer. The chickpeas should be very tender and completely falling apart. Drain; set aside to cool.
1. In a food processor add the lemon juice, garlic and salt, and pulse till the garlic is completely dissolved (about 1 minute).
2. Add the chickpeas and process until mixture is completely smooth (around 4 mins).
3. While the food processor is still running add the cumin, then slowly stream in the tahini. Thin with ice cold water for a looser consistency. The hummus should be very smooth and easy to spread.
4. To serve dollop desired amount into a shallow bowl. Using the back of the spoon make a well and drizzle the center with extra virgin olive oil. You can garnish hummus with almost anything from fried chickpeas to minced meat (hummus b-lahmeh) to tomatoes and parsley.